Dinanagar town is situated about 14 Kms North-East of Gurdaspur. It was founded by Adinabeg in 1730, on the bank of Hasli or Shah Nahar as his residence and cantonment. He seems to have exercised his government from this town.
Dinanagar was a favourite summer resort of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. Dinanagar was one centre where Maharaja Ranjit Singh usally held his Durbar during the summer. It was the summer capital of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. He spent two months of May & June every year at Dinanagar. It was at Dinanagar that in May 1838 he received the MACNAGHTEN mission which negotiated the proposed alliance for placing Shah –Shuja on the throne of Kabul.
After annexation of Punjab to the British territory on 29th March 1849, a new district of Adinanagar was constituted with Dinanagar as its Head quarters. Gurdaspur Tehsil, a greater portion of Batala Tehsil and 181 villages of Pathankot Tehsil were included in the Adinanagar district . In July 1849 the civil and Military escorts were transferred to Batala as Dinanagar was thought unhealthy and in 1852 it became part of Gurdaspur district. The Rowlatt ACT passed in March 1919 invested the Government with extraordinary powers to suppress any kind of political agitation. A complete hartal was observed in Dinanagar along with Gurdaspur, Pathankot and Batala.
In 1920 non cooperation movement was started by Gandhi Ji due to alliance with Khilafat leader Jallianwala Bagh Tragedy and Rowllat Act. The people all over the country responded to the call of Gandhi Ji. The Government made every effort to stop the movement and a large number of persons courted imprisonment. A durbar was held at Dinanagar to discuss the situation created by Gandhi Ji by H.Harcourt, the Deputy Commissioner.
Swami Sawtantra Nand founded Dayanand Math in 1938 - an institution which became a centre of learning and Ayurveda. In the course of time Adinanagar has been known for its Loi, Shawl and wood industries. A number of conduit pipe manufacturing units have been set up here after 1947. Dina Nagar is spread over 14.36 sq.km.
Batala town was founded in about 1465, during the reign of Bahlol Lodhi BY "Rai Ram Deo" a Bhatti Rajput, on a piece of land granted by Tatar Khan governor of Lahore. Akbar gave it in Jagir to Shamsher Khan his foster brother, who greatly improved and beautified the place and outside it built the magnificent tank still in perfect repair. Under the Sikh commonwealth, Batala was held first by Ramgarhias, and after their expulsion by Kanhaya confederacy. On their return from exit the Ramgarhia chief recovered the town, which they retained till the rise of Ranjit Singh. After the annexation of Punjab by Britishers in 1849 Batala was made headquarters of a District, subsequently transferred to Gurdaspur.
Batala became the centre of number of iron manufacturing units when ironsmiths of Sialkot shifted here in large numbers. Batala is now known for its iron smelting units and manufactures a large variety of machine tools and lathes. The area of Batala town is over 8.75 sq.km.
The principal objects of antiquarian interest are the tank, the massive tomb of Shamsher Khan, and a handsome building known as Anarkali erected by Sher Singh, son of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, who held Batala in Jagir.
Gurdaspur was founded by Guriya Ji in the beginning of 17th century. On his name, this city was named as Gurdaspur. He bought land for Gurdaspur from Jats of Sangi Gotra. It is also established that some people used to live in huts in the old city. Guriya Ji a Sanwal Brahmin of Kaushal Gotra belonged to a village Paniar situated 5 miles north of Gurdaspur. The ancestors of Guriya Ji came from Ayodhaya long time ago and settled in Paniar. Guriya Ji had two sons Sh.Nawal Rai and Sh.Pala Ji. The descendants of Nawal Rai settled in Gurdaspur Nawal Rai’s son Baba Deep Chand was a contemporary of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. It is believed that guru Gobind Singh Ji gave the title of Ganj Bakhsh (Owner Of Treasure) to Baba Deep Chand. The descendants of Baba Deep Chand are known as Mahants. It was during the time of Baba Deep Chand that Gurdaspur started developing as a village.
The history of Gurdaspur is also associated with Banda Bahadur’s activities. Banda Bahadur built many fortresses in Gurdaspur One of his fortress site stands today’s Central Jail Gurdaspur.
During misl period Gurdaspur remained centre of activity of Kanaiya Misl and Ramgharia Misl. Maharaja Ranjit Singh conquered Ramgharia misl in 1808 and Kanyia misl in 1811, so it became a part of Maharaja Ranjit Singh’s empire.
After second Anglo-Sikh war 1839-49 British East India company annexed Punjab on 29 March 1849. After annexation need arose for recognition of districts for administrative purpose. As a result, Gurdaspur district was formed on 1st May 1852. The district of Adinanagar was renamed as Gurdaspur. So from a tiny village Gurdaspur became a District Headquarter.
The mutinee of 1857 also affected Gurdaspur. The mutineers from Sialkot proceeded towards Gurdaspur. The British forces intercepted these mutineers at Trimmo Patan and defeated them in the battle of Trimmo Patan (12 July- 16 July 1857). The prisoners were hanged in Bole Wala Bagh situated behind Government College Gurdaspur.
During partition of India in 1947 the future of Gurdaspur could not be decided for many days. As majority of population of this district was Muslim. REDCLIFF Awards of Boundary transferred only Shakargarh Tehsil Of Gurdaspur district to Pakistan, and the rest of the district was transferred to India. Muslim population of the district migrated to Pakistan and refugees, the Hindus and the Sikhs of Sialkot and Tehsil Shakargarh migrated to Gurdaspur after crossing the Ravi bridge. They settled and spread in Gurdaspur district. Gurdaspur is spread over 10.85 sq.km. area.
Kalanaur, a historical town of Gurdaspur District, is situated towards the west of Gurdaspur at a distance of 25 Kilometres on the bank of Kiran Rivulet which originates from The Chhamb of Behrampur and flows in a Zig – Zag serpentine path and merges into the Ravi river after covering a distance of 36 miles in Amritsar District.
Kalanaur was a famous place in ancient Hindu period. According to Mohammad Latif (a historian ) it was founded by a Noor Tribe of Rajputs who probably migrated from South India. According to Imperial Gazetteer of India it was founded by two Muslim brothers Kala and Noor. Most probably it derived its name from the name of Kaleshwar (Name of Lord SHIVA ) Temple built on an ancient fort.
The city was a centre of art, cottage industries and trade. According to one proverbial saying before partition of India, it was said
"A person who has not seen Lahore should see Kalanaur "
Many historical events are associated with this ancient town. The town being situated on high mound suggests that the town got demolished many times, and it was rebuilt again and again. Feroz – Shah – Tuglaq (1352 – 88 AD) came here for hunting in 1353 and built here a beautiful palace on the bank of Kiran rivulet.
During the reign of Sayyad Mubarak Shah (1421 – 35 AD) Kalanaur was under the powerful Khokhar Tribe. From 14th to 16th century Kalanaur was a famous city of this region.
Kalanaur is also famous for heroic activities of Baba Banda Singh Bahadur who built a well where now a days Gurudwara Banda Bahadur is situated.
During Misl period Kanaya Misl occupied Kalanaur under Sardar Haqeeqat Singh Kanaya. His son Jaimal Sing extended his territory up to Fatehgarh Churian and shifted his residence there. Jaimal Singh’s daughter Chand Kaur was married to Prince KHARAK SINGH in 1812 AD, (son of Maharaja Ranjit Singh). When Maharaja Ranjit Singh annexed this region into his kingdom, the Taulaka of Kalanaur was given to Prince Kharak Singh. In 1874 this taulaka of Kalanaur was given to Diwan Dina Nath as Jagir. It was annexed to British Empire after the death of Dina Nath on 1857.
When Gurdaspur became a district on 1st May 1852 Kalanaur became an important city of the district.
Dera Baba Nanak
Dera Baba Nanak is situated 45 Kilometers west of Gurdaspur. This place is associated with Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji. The two famous Gurudwaras at Dera Baba Nanak are Sri Darbar Sahib and Sri Chola Sahib. Dera Baba Nanak, one of the most sacred places of the Sikhs, is situated on the banks of river Ravi. Guru Nanak Dev, the first Sikh Guru, settled and died near the village Pakhoke, opposite to the present town and named it Kartarpur. The Bedis, descendants of Guru Nanak Dev Ji built a new town and named it Dera Baba Nanak after their great ancestor. The town has a number of Sikh temples. Pilgrims come to this holy town in large numbers. Dera Baba Nanak was made the headquarter of newly created Tehsil of Dera Baba Nanak.
Gurudwara Sri Darbar Sahib was built in commemoration of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji. Guru Nanak Dev Ji came here after his first Udasi (tour) on December 1515 AD to see the members of his family. His wife Mata Sulakhni and His two sons Baba Sri Chand and Baba Lakhmi Chand had come to stay here in their maternal home at Pakho-Ke-Randhawa, near Dera Baba Nanak, Where Lala Mool Raj Father – in – Law of Guru Nanak Dev Ji was working as Patwari. At that time this village was situated across the river Ravi.
Sri-Hargobindpur is situated about 45 Kilometres south of Gurdaspur city. It is situated on the high bank of river Beas. This area was formerly known as "Rohila". "Guru Arjun Dev" the fifth Guru of Sikhs founded the town of Sri-Hargobindpur in 1595 AD in memory of his son Hargobind’s birth in that year, as the child was the only son born to the Guru Arjan Dev after many prayers. Guru Arjan Dev named this town as Sri-Gobindpur but due to Chandu Shah’s conspiracy this town became the property of Bhagwan Das Khatri a money lender who out of hatred was called Kirar.
In 1621 AD there arose a conflict between Guru Hargobind and Bhagwan Das Khatri the money lender over some barren land. Guru Hargobind Ji wanted to construct some building there but Bhagwan Dass resisted the construction. At the head of number of ruffians, he attacked Guru Ji’s camp. In the fight Bhagwan Das was killed. His son Ratan Chand and Chandu Shah’s son Karam Chand made a common cause of grievance. They approached Faujdar of Jalandhar, Abdul Khan. Abdul Khan despatched a large contingent of troops against Guru Hargobind Ji. A pitched battle was fought on Rohila Ghat on the bank of the river Beas for two days. All the five generals along with the son of faujdar of Jalandhar and a large number of Mughal army were killed. On Guru Hargobind’s side Bhai Jattu Ji, Kaliana Ji, Nano Ji, Pirga Ji, Mathura Ji, Paras Ram Ji with many Sikhs were martyred.
Guru Hargobind Ji started the construction of this new town. He built here a Dharamshala and a Mosque and fortified new town of Sri-Hargobindpur with a wall and gates outside the city. One gate still exists there.
The new three storied Gurudwara Damdama Sahib which is under construction now is situated one Kilometer west of Sri-Hargobindpur. It is the site where Guru Hargobind Ji held a diwan and had rest after winning the battle of Rohila. So this Gurudwara is called Dam-Dama-Sahib, Sri HarGobindpur. A long bridge constructed over river Beas connects this town with Hoshiarpur district and Jullundhar district.
Qadian is situated 18 Kilometers east of Batala city. The town can also be approached from Gurdaspur Via Kahnuwan-Kot-Todarmal which becomes a distance of 26 Kilometers.
Town of Qadian is associated with the founder of AHMADIYA MUSLIA SECT, the Promised Messiah "HAZRAT MIRRZA GULAM AHMAD " who was born in Qadian. Qadian is not only known now within India but enjoys special regard in the hearts of 10 million Ahmadia Muslims spread in all five continents of the world.
It is considered that Qadian was established in 1530 AD. MIRZA HADI BAIG was the first Qazi (city Magistrate) of this area. Because of this, the town became to be known as Qazi. Mirza Hadi Baig was a religious scholar dedicated to Islam. Therefore he named the new town "ISLAM PUR QAZI". With the passage of time, it changed to "QaziMaji" then to "QADI" and eventually to its natural transformation to be known as QADIAN.
It was in 1834 AD during the rule of Maharaja Ranjit Singh that the estate consisting of Qadian and five adjoining villages were given to MIRZA GHULAM MURTAZA AHMAD, father of the Messiah Mirza Gulam Ahmad.
At that time, Qadian had no significance in the area at all with population of a few hundred people and only a sandy track pitted with pot holes connected the town with Batala. People were totally ignorant and uneducated. There was total lack of urban amenities and facilities.
A remote and unknown village "Qadian" even in the province of Punjab emerged as centre of Islamic learning in 1891, when Hazrat Gulam Mirza 1835-1908 proclaimed himself the basis of AHMADIYA Movement in Islam.
Qadian is very dear to Ahmadies all over the world, but their unity was upset during the communal disturbance in 1947. No body wanted to leave Qadian, although KHALIFATUL MESSIH II was forced to migrate to Pakistan in 1947 and established a new Headquarter at RABWAH. Ahamdiya Anjman, a religious registered body did not migrate to Pakistan. Talim- ul- Islam College building, Noor Hospital building and most of the residential buildings were attached to the Ahamdiya Anjman. So this religious body got these buildings. Now the college building is given on rent to the Sikh National College Qadian and there is a Civil Hospital in the building of Noor Hospital.
Pathankot is situated at the foot of hills of Kangra and Dalhousie and near the head of Bari Doab canal. The town is connected by rail and road with the rest of the country and is an important link city for going to Jammu and Kashmir. Pathankot has been the seat of Loi and Shawl weaving industry and lies at a point where the trade routes from the hills of Chamba, Nurpur and Kangra unite and enter the plains. The area of the town is about 22.10 Sq.Kms.
Pathankot is surrounded by picturesque spots; Madhopur Headworks, Malikpur where India’s foremost hydraulic research station is situated, Shahpur Kandi with a hanging rest house. Pathankot and its surrounding areas once formed part of the territories of Nurpur (now in Himachal Pardesh). A muslim descendant of the Rajas of Nurpur Sayed Khan ruled over this territory till 1781. Pathankot also figures in Ain-i-Akbarj as the Pargana Headquarter. Some believe it was a settlement of Pathans during the madieval times. The famous historian Cunnigham says that name of Pathankot came into vogue from the word Pattan.